Sunday, November 24, 2013

Why Today Changed My Perspective on Thanksgiving...

Personally, I have never been a fan of Thanksgiving and other holidays. Yeah, it was great to celebrate the remembrance of Jesus Christ and stuff but I still couldn't stand the holidays for other reasons. But what happened today completely threw my thinking about Thanksgiving away and replaced it with a joy I have never felt before. I know that Thanksgiving is about being thankful... yadda, yadda... food. But let me tell you something else...

Serving.
Yeah. That's what I said. Something about humbling yourself, and crumbling your pride really does something to your character. You become more happy... and more thankful. You start to enjoy the company of others, and you love giving others their smiles back. Something about blessing those in need is so anointing and innocent. I wonder if that is what Jesus has been trying to show us after all. Yes, hammering down your pride isn't pleasant by all means, but once you hit humility and you make someone's day - it is worth it, and you love it.

That is how I felt today. My team and our church, Crossroads Fellowship, gave out free candy and 400 turkeys to all the houses we serve weekly. 400 houses got 400 turkeys! We had a bunch of floats, hot-rods, Santa Claus, and more... It was definitely one of the most amazing days I've ever had. Just loving on each person as we pass by... it is exhausting... but it is a beautiful blessing. The thing is, we don't have to tell them about Jesus, because of this, they can already see something different about us.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks. It is about appreciating those around you. It's about serving. Putting yourself last - to sacrifice and willing to give away yourself for someone else's benefit. Today, I saw a piece of Thanksgiving and love restored and a community that was brought together for a moment. Something about it was so peaceful. In the midst of all the cheerful noise and chaos, it was very peaceful.

You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.  This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. ~2 Corinthians 9:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment